Monday, April 23, 2012

William Shakespeare, Othello, Ed. E. A. J. Honigmann, Arden Shakespeare, Third Edition, London, 1997.

Horribly stuffed with epithets of war,
(Iago, 1.1.13)



For when my outward action doth demonstrate
The native act and figure of my heart
In complement extern, ’tis not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

(Iago, 1.1.60-64)


Even now, now, very now, an old black ram
Is tupping your white ewe!...

(Iago, 1.1.87-88)


…she shunned
The wealthy, curled darlings of our nation,

(Brabantio, 1.2.67-8)


She loved me for the dangers I had passed
And I loved her that she did pity them.

(Othello, 1.3.168-9)


…if I be left behind,
A moth to peace, and he go to the war,

(Desdemona, 1.3.256-7)


Roderigo: What should I do? I confess it is my shame to be so fond, but it is not in my virtue to amend it.
Iago: Virtue? a fig! ’tis in ourselves that we are thus, or thus.

(1.3.318-321)


…either to have it sterile with idleness or manured with industry…

(Iago, 1.3.324-5)


Iago: …we have reason to cool our raging motions, our carnal stings, our unbitted lusts; whereof I take this, that you call love, to be a sect or scion.
Roderigo: It cannot be.
Iago: It is merely a lust of the blood and a permission of the will. Come, be a man! drown thyself? drown cats and blind puppies.

(1.3.330-336)

If thou canst cuckold him, thou dost thyself a pleasure, me a sport.

(Iago, 1.3.369-370)


The Moor is of a free and open nature
That thinks men honest that but seem to be so,

(Iago, 1.3.398-399)


O, gentle lady, do not put me to’t,
For I am nothing if not critical.

(Iago, 2.1.118-119; put me to’t : challenge me to do it)


2.1.148-60: Here Iago plays the fool to mask his true character, as in 2.3.64, and to show off his cleverness. (note, 172) [Iago also acts like a jackass to drive Cassio and Desdemona together]


To suckle fools, and chronicle small beer.

(Iago, 2.1.160)


…ay, well said, whisper.

(Iago, 2.1.167-168)


For Christian shame, put by this barbarous brawl;

(Othello, 2.3.168)


…What’s the matter
That you unlace your reputation thus
And spend your rich opinion for the name
Of a night-brawler?...

(Othello, 2.3.189-192)


I’ll pour this pestilence into his ear:

(Iago, 2.3.351)


…but he protests he loves you
And needs no other suitor but his likings

(Emilia, 3.1.49-51)


Though I am bound to every act of duty
I am not bound to that all slaves are free to—
Utter my thoughts?...

(Iago, 3.3.137-138; I am not bound to that [what] all slaves are free to [not bound to do])


Look where he comes. Not poppy nor mandragora
Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world
Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep
Which thou owedst yesterday.

(Iago, 3.3.333-336)


I think my wife be honest, and think she is not,
I think that thou art just, and think thou art not.

(Iago, 3.3.387-388)


’Tis not a year or two shows us a man.
They are all but stomachs, and we all but food:
They eat us hungerly, and when they are full
They belch us.

(Iago, 3.4.104-107)


…’tis a venial slip;

(Iago, 4.1.9)


Was this fair paper, this most goodly book
Made to write ‘whore’ upon? …

(Othello, 4.2.72-3)


…thy light relume: …

(Othello, 5.2.13)


Demand me nothing. What you know, you know.
From this time forth I never will speak word.

(Iago, 5.2.300-301)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home