Monday, August 24, 2020

William Shakespeare, The Tempest

 

William Shakespeare, The Tempest, Arden 1999

 

Prospero: Dost thou forget

From what a torment I did free thee?

Ariel: No.

Prospero: Thou dost, and think’st it much  to tread the ooze

Of the salt deep,

To run upon the sharp wind of the north,

To do me business in the veins o’th’earth

When it is baked with frost. (1.2.250-256)

 

Caliban: You taught me language, and my profit on’t

Is I know how to curse. The red plague rid you

For learning me your language.

Prospero: Hag-seed, hence:

Fetch us in fuel, and be quick—thou’rt best—

To answer other business. Shrug’st thou, malice?

If thou neglect’st, or dost unwillingly

What I command, I’ll rack thee with old cramps,

Fill all thy bones with aches, make thee roar,

That beasts shall tremble at thy din. (1.2.364-72)

 

Gonzalo: It is foul weather in us all, good sir,

When you are cloudy. (2.1.142-3)

 

Antonio: …Twenty consciences

That stand ‘twixt me and Milan, candied be they

And melt ere they molest! … (2.1.279-81) [candied – formed into crystals, congealed. Kermode argues for ‘sugared’ as the meaning, linking candied to Shakespeare’s characteristic association among candy, dogs and flattery. However, congealed fits more clearly with the ensuing verb, melt. Malone glosses ‘Let twenty consciences be first congealed, and then dissolved, ere they molest me, or prevent me from executing my purposes’]

 

Caliban: I’ll show thee every fertile inch o’th’island,

And I will kiss thy foot. I prithee, be my god. (2.2.145-6)

 

Caliban: I prithee, let me bring thee where crabs grow,

And I with my long nails will dig thee pignuts,

Show thee a jay’s nest, and instruct thee how

To snare the nimble marmoset. I’ll bring thee

To clust’ring filberts, and sometimes I’ll get thee

Young scamels from the rock. Wilt thou go with me? (2.2.164-69) [pignuts – a type of edible tuber. The nutty root is only obtained by digging it; jay’s nest – Caliban may be offering Stephano the eggs; marmoset – a small monkey to be captured for a pet or eating; filberts – hazlenuts; scamels – unclear reference]

 

Caliban: Be not afeard. The isle is full of noises,

Sounds and sweet airs that give delight and hurt not.

Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments

Will hum about mine ears; and sometimes voices,

That if I then had waked after long sleep,

Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming,

The clouds, methought, would open and show riches

Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked

I cried to dream again. (3.2.135-43)

 

Ariel: I told you, sir, they were red-hot with drinking,

So full of valour that they smote the air

For breathing in their faces, beat the ground

For kissing of their feet, … (4.1.171-4)

 

Alonso: …Thy pulse

Beats as of flesh and blood; and since I saw thee,

Th’affliction of my mind amends, with which

I fear a madness held me. … (5.1.112-15)

 

Epilogue spoken by Prospero:

Now my charms are all o’erthrown,

And what strength I have’s mine own,

Which is most faint. Now, ‘tis true

I must be here confined by you,

Or sent to Naples. Let me not,

Since I have my dukedom got

And pardoned the deceiver, dwell

In this bare island by your spell;

But release me from my bands

With the help of your good hands.

Gentle breath of yours my sails

Must fill, or else my project fails,

Which was to please. Now I want

Spirits to enforce, art to enchant;

And my ending is despair,

Unless I be relieved by prayer,

Which pierces so that it assaults

Mercy itself, and frees all faults.

     As you from crimes would pardoned be,

     Let your indulgences set me free. (1-20)

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home